6.11.2016

Make It Happen: Delta Kappa Gamma Keynote



Today I had the incredible honor of giving the Keynote address at the Delta Kappa Gamma, Alpha Alpha State Pennsylvania Convention in beautiful State College, PA - home of Penn State. 

This was my first Keynote and I was more nervous than I ever imagined I would be. There were only about 300 people in the audience, but I was terrified. Prior to my Keynote, I scanned the crowd and saw many faces I recognized - including a Superintendent from my previous district and some of the teachers I had in elementary school. 

When I saw my elementary teachers - I wondered if they ever saw me becoming "something". Even though high school, I just blended in. I wasn't dumb, but I didn't see the need to display my intellect in any further capacity than what was required of me. 

I say that because, as a teacher, I find myself picking out students saying "oh, you're going to be something some day - I just know it!" But what about all of those other kids. Those kids like me? I wonder if they're more impressed because they never saw it coming. So while I'm smiling inside, I'm also keeping in mind the way that I "judge" students future based on their current lives. 

Dear students - prove me wrong!


The Keynote was such an amazing experience and I can't thank the organization enough for treating me like family. 


Below are the slides from my Keynote. 




I am also doing a workshop on Library as Learning Commons which you can find on my Presentations page.



Now go make something happen!